Monthly Archives: October 2007
A head of gray hairs
Doesn’t mean one’s an elder.
Advanced in years,
One’s called an old fool.
But one in whom there is
He’s called an elder,
His impurities disgorged,
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
“Linus is keyed to the highest pitch as he marches out with his placard: WELCOME GREAT PUMPKIN! His willed mania demonstrates that some people would rather live drunk on false belief than sober on nothing at all, at whatever cost in ridicule. Schulz is saying: be careful what you believe. …”
“I don’t like ass kissers, flag wavers, or team players. I like people who buck the system. Individualists. I often warn kids, somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, ‘there is no i in team.’ What you should tell them is, maybe not. But there is an i in independence, individuality, and integrity.” –George Carlin
** special thanks to my favorite manhattan doll for the brill find!
1. why run to the train? another will be here soon.
2. quote of the day: “If you don’t have any loyalty to what you are doing, you ought not be doing it.” — Tom Harding
3. i dreamed i was one of the women fawning over bob dylan. but then it turned out to be cate blanchett. i’m not sure whether i really thought i was the woman, or if i thought i was playing a character in a movie. i was standing about 10 feet away, wearing an orange sweater, and cate was getting out of a limo. i haven’t seen the movie yet — but i’ve been intrigued by the clips.
4. i’ve been watching jules and jim and really enjoying it. also i picture jules as adrian brody and jim as owen wilson.
5. awesome excerpt today from delancyplace.com:
In today’s excerpt–Elvis Presley, the radio, and social revolution:
“[Radio] made Elvis an agent provocateur. … Radio helped Elvis develop his interest in and affection for the music of black culture. In that pre-rock’n’roll era, America was an apartheid nation and in much of the country, black and white didn’t mix. … Segregation was relatively easy to enforce. It was the law. …
tension won’t get the best of me … not even during earnings week!